|“||Wow! Needle, she's such a fast runner.||”|
"Barriers and Pitfalls" is the second episode of Battle for Dream Island. The episode is named for what the contestants need to avoid during the competition. In this episode, the Squishy Cherries lose for the first time and get put up for elimination. It was released on February 1, 2010.
- Fish Monster
- Golf Ball
- Ice Cube
- Sam (mentioned)
- Tennis Ball
- Yellow Face (possibly)
The Announcer tells Pin she had won a Win Token. Pin then asks what the Win Token is. The Announcer explains she was the only one to rip the ribbon, and she could use it to subtract half of the votes against her. He then proceeds to give Pin the token and starts Cake at Stake.
Cake at Stake
The Squashy Grapes lost in the previous contest, so they do Cake at Stake. Then, Announcer gets Match, Tennis Ball, Golf Ball, Teardrop, Needle, Spongy, Rocky, Firey, Woody, Snowball, and Flower from the canal via a net. Announcer asks the Squashy Grapes to sit down and explains how he'll give one slice each to 9 of the safe contestants, and that the unsafe gets treated with TLC. Announcer reveals 7 votes are cast. Seven contestants (Leafy, Needle, Rocky, Teardrop, Coiny, Ice Cube, and Snowball) were safe at 0 votes. Pieces of strawberry cake were thrown at their faces at high speed, except for Snowball, who caught it after Announcer reduced the cake throwing acceleration. The Announcer says that Tennis Ball is safe at 1 vote despite not "doing anything good" and so is "Sam", whoever he/she is. Flower says, "If you kick me out, I'll crush you with my Announcer Crusher!". Announcer reveals that it was too bad since Golf Ball is safe at one vote while Flower is eliminated at four votes. Flower angrily pushes the button to activate the Announcer Crusher, but it consequently hit Golf Ball on the head instead before it crushed him, so it cracked up and exploded, blasting Flower away. Bubble mentions to Pencil how she was afraid of being popped but then feels better, just as she gets popped up once again from the pieces of the Announcer Crusher. GB says her chances of winning increased from 5% to 5.263%. Leafy feels impressed by the fact that Golf Ball could use a calculator without arms, to which Golf Ball questions what made her think she was using one. The intro then plays.
7 votes were cast.
The Announcer mentions the second contest being an obstacle course where the contestants have to finish and fill as much water as possible on their team tanks within an hour, with the team that was the most water on their tank winning. The first one to finish the course also gets a Win Token. Just before mentioning the teams to go, the Announcer was about to tell the Squishy Cherries about one more thing, to which Eraser wasn't intrigued. The Announcer tells the Squishy Cherries that they are missing a member of their team. He says that if they don't bring that contestant in an hour, they will automatically lose the challenge. Pen and Eraser think for a few seconds, and then remember that Blocky was "eaten" by the monster. The Announcer then tells the O to come over to the G to spell Go, to begin the challenge.
The timer starts and the Squashy Grapes already started running. Pin tells the Squishy Cherries to stop because they need to decide who will find Blocky, and who will run the race. Pen and Eraser decide that they will find Blocky. Pin wants Spongy and Pencil to go with them, but Match complains about the alliance being broken up, but Pin replies with "Alliance. Shmalliance. GO! GO!". So Match said that she will wait for Pencil with Bubble.
Snowball is (glad that he is) in first until he stops in a maze where Needle pushes him off. After he falls into the "Failers' Waiting Room", Snowball complains. One minute and forty-four seconds since the countdown, Pencil, Pen, Eraser, and Spongy find the fish that "ate" Blocky, so they plan to get him out.
4 minutes and 18 minutes since the countdown, Leafy and Ice Cube are running behind Needle, and Ice Cube is intrigued about Needle on her running speed. Leafy says that it is good (because Needle is on the same team as her and Ice Cube), but Needle steps on a pressure button and a platform comes rising. Needle crosses before it starts coming up and Leafy and Ice Cube manage to make it across (because it only just started coming up). Coiny is seen "blowing raspberries" at Firey again, Firey gets mad and tosses Coiny.
Meanwhile, Match is questioning what's taking so long for Pencil. Bubble reassures her that only five minutes of the hour have passed so far.
Seven minutes and thirty-eight seconds passed since the start of the challenge, and the scene goes back to when Pencil, Pen, Eraser, and Spongy are rescuing Blocky. As Pencil keeps making gestures to the fish to release Blocky, he suddenly appears and questions Pencil's methods. Pen celebrates (Eraser is happy too) and tells him that he thought Blocky was eaten, but after a flashback, it turns out he fell behind the fish. Pencil successfully persuades the fish to open its mouth, only for it to wrap its tongue around her making her say "Yikes!".
Needle makes it to a rock cliff, with a few contestants behind. Coiny eventually falls next face first next to them.
Firey and Teardrop make it over the platform, but Pin gets stuck on the platform, so Coiny says that he was sorry because he could not get Pin out of there and passes the platform as well. When Golf Ball, Tennis Ball, Woody, and Rocky make it to the rising platform, Pin complains about Woody climbing her, so she slaps him. Golf Ball and Tennis Ball jump over Woody, but Rocky does not, so Tennis Ball kicks him across while Woody falls off. Golf Ball asks Tennis Ball what that was for, to which he replied, "To prevent a Rocky and Woody collision." Golf Ball asks Tennis Ball to get her across, and he does this by kicking her over. Unfortunately for Tennis Ball, he isn't able to get across.
Back at the rock wall, the other contestants (Leafy, Ice Cube, Firey, Teardrop, and Needle) are trying to climb it. Golf Ball and Coiny arrive. Needle had no trouble crossing the cliff, but a punching glove comes out of nowhere and pushes her off, much to her frustration. Leafy and Ice Cube climbs the wall together. Ice Cube thanks Leafy for what she did for her, and Leafy replies with a "your welcome." But a punching glove appears out of nowhere and pushes them off. A montage plays of Teardrop and Firey still crossing the cliff, with the pushed-off contestants attempting to try again. It goes back to the scene with the fish again, with Blocky and Pen trying to pry Pencil out of the fish's grip, which happens when the fish notices Flower flying through the air above the weird objects from the previous episode. Forty-six minutes and twenty-one seconds within the challenge, Firey arrives in an elevator and activates another button, which lowers a spike and will eventually block the other contestants from jumping to the other side. Firey, Coiny, and Teardrop make the jump. Leafy and Ice Cube finish climbing up the rock wall, and Needle gets hit by another punching glove. Leafy and Ice Cube ride an elevator to the next obstacle, and while the elevator is bringing them down, Leafy places a bowling ball above Ice Cube's head to demonstrate that they are both falling at the same rate. Unfortunately, as the elevator stops, Ice Cube is smashed by a bowling ball.
After a commercial selling extremely over-priced gumballs worth 70,000 payments of $70,000 for each of the seven gumballs shown on the screen, asking to call from the number on the screen (2) and a prank commercial from Blocky's Funny Doings International showing how to pop Bubble infinitely with thumbtacks on the recovery center, Leafy was shocked about Ice Cube's death but, immediately shrugs it off. She expected to make the jump, but in reality, she instead fails at the jump and landing on the "Failers' Waiting Room" below. Back at the start, the remaining Squishy Cherries finally make a start after Pen tells everyone they have a lot of time to make up for. Match watches Pen pass and complains how Spongy makes her want to hurl. When Pencil arrives, she tells her to go super fast with her and Bubble. While running, Blocky and Eraser fall from the mace and end up in the Failers' Waiting Room. The alliance meets Tennis Ball, who wants to get over the wall, which Match doesn't think she could do it as it is now impossibly high. Pin complains that she is still stuck and Golf Ball is still stuck at the bottom due to not having arms and Needle finally climbs the rock wall. Firey jumps onto a ski lift but burns it. He grabs onto another ski lift. Pencil's alliance throws Tennis Ball at the Pin, also causing the wall to bend and break, unfortunately flinging Pen off as well while Pin ends up in the Failers' Waiting Room The Alliance then passes through the passage, with Bubble saying it's convenient. Firey and Coiny have another quarrel, ending with Firey hitting Coiny off the ski lift (Teardrop is watching too as she grins).
At the halfway mark, the alliance gets to the rock wall. Golf Ball asks for her and Tennis Ball to be thrown up to the top, but Pencil only throws Spongy up simply because they are on the same team. After the ski lift and a squiggly obstacle, Needle arrives at the part where the contestants must find a needle in a haystack and gets an idea. She shows herself to the scanner. She gets a Win Token, and Firey gets tired of searching through the haystack, so he gets an idea and burns the haystack to easily find the needle.
Match and Pencil climb up the rock cliff and ignores Golf Ball's demand to help her and Tennis Ball up. Tennis Ball tells Golf Ball that he found a path that completely bypasses the rock wall and elevator. Teardrop is still searching through the haystack. Spongy falls flat, and the Alliance rides down the elevator. Match later notices that "the balls" are coming to them. Teardrop finally finds the needle, and Needle asks her to help her pull ahead of Firey, who complains about how dangerous water was to handle for him, showing that he can be killed by Teardrop, Snowball, or Ice Cube. Bubble gets stuck in the falling spike obstacle, but Tennis Ball and Golf Ball get her out, resulting in them falling into the Failers' Waiting Room. Pencil teases them, and Match tells her to cross over. Match and Pencil make it over the spike obstacle, although Pencil's tip has been dulled. Eighteen minutes and seventeen minutes before the timer goes off, the alliance and Spongy hop on to the ski lifts, but because of Spongy being heavy, the rope begins to dangle. Then Rocky, who was kicked by Tennis Ball earlier, falls and cuts the line, making all of them fall. For the remaining 18 minutes, Needle and Teardrop fill their team tank while Firey stands still, and put the Squishy Cherries up for elimination.
|Squishy Cherries||15th||(accidentally)||Fell into a pit|
|Squishy Cherries||14th||None||Fell into a pit|
|Squishy Cherries||13th||None||Fell into a pit|
All the remaining contestants (except Ice Cube, Needle, Teardrop, and Firey) are standing in the Failers' Waiting Room at night, and Golf Ball asks if they are going to be picked up.
|Cary Huang||Pin/Match/Ice Cube/Rocky/Needle|
|Michael Huang||Flower/Bubble/Golf Ball/Leafy/Eraser/Pen/Snowball/Pencil/Firey/Blocky/Woody/Tennis Ball/Coiny|
- Spongy appears; however, he does not speak.
- There is one voter who voted for "Sam". It is unknown who they actually meant.
- It may be jacknjellify's friend Sam. Evidence for this is that jacknjellify seemed to know the name of the voter who voted Sam, calling him David.
- This is the first episode created where Cake at Stake played before the intro.
- This is the only time the first version of the first Cake at Stake intro is used. The first version had a fade out and the color of the word "at" was pink. This was due to the original not being a separate file, so a new one was used for later episodes.
- The fish which "ate" Blocky appears when Flower gets catapulted, and later when Puffball goes to get Yoyleberries.
- This episode was originally planned with a different event in which no votes have been made from the last episode, and a contestant would have possibly been eliminated randomly. This was due to initial speculation that BFDI wasn't going to get any votes in the beginning before being released on YouTube. The 7 votes casted on the first episode changed this however, and BFDI would go on to have more voters as the show progressed.
- Golf Ball is indirectly responsible for Bubble's first death in this episode since her body stopped Flower's crusher from crushing the Announcer.
- This episode is the first time Ice Cube dies.
- If you listen closely while Flower flies over the Goiky Canal craziness, you can hear Ice Cube saying "I'm scared" in reverse.
- The last line in this episode was also said in "Four Goes Too Far".
- The episode counted Sam's vote for a total of 7 votes, despite not being a contestant.
- On July 28, 2018, the storyboard for this episode was released.
- The vote for "sam" was not accounted for in the storyboard.
- Before Cake at Stake, Announcer says he first needs to get "Match & Tennis Ball & Golf Ball & Teardrop & Needle & Spongy & Rocky & Firey & Woody & Flower", referring to the contestants floating on Spongy in the Goiky Canal. This is an error, as Snowball was floating on Spongy, not Flower.
- When the Announcer told them to sit, the cake didn't have a meringue.
- When the Announcer Crusher was first seen, the Announcer was missing. This also occurs when the Announcer Crusher was destroyed.
- However, he was possibly next to Golf Ball like after it was shown.
- Also in this scene, a cake splat on Tennis Ball wasn't seen.
- When Pin slaps Woody, Woody's piece isn't chipped.
- Flower's mouth is not moving while talking when she threatens to crush the Announcer. Also at this time, the Announcer is not there, and Tennis Ball has no cake splat on him and the button Flower was holding disappears too.
- Right when Golf Ball destroys the Announcer Crusher, the whole cake is still there though all of it was passed out.
- In the flashback when the Sea Monster missed to ate Blocky after it closed its mouth, its shadow doesn't move.
- After Firey stopped to get onto one of the chairlifts, his legs are still moving.
- Firey gets on the blue seat of the chairlift even though it already passes through him for a split second.
- When Pencil was dulled, she was then seen riding the seats with her end sharpened.
- When Pin was shaking, her mouth didn't shake.
- When Flower was flying above all of those things, you can hear Ice Cube saying "I'm scared" backward.
- Teardrop has no mouth in 2 scenes at Cake at Stake.
- Cary originally planned on the spike scene of the episode to feature more characters jumping under it while cinematic music was playing to bring in more action. However, this was scrapped as mentioned in a Humany video.
- There are 2 goofs that occur during the Blocky's Funny Doings International prank:
- During the scene of Bubble popping in her recovery center, the recovery center seems to have moved a lot to the left from right.
- A hole gets drilled into the BRC. However, when the camera zooms out, the hole disappears.
When the Announcer tells Pin she did better than the other contestants, it is a reference to Mac OS X by making the icon bigger when hovered over.
- Bubble pops after Flower's Announcer Crusher explodes and a metal piece was flung at her.
- Ice Cube gets shattered with a bowling ball by Leafy.
- Bubble gets popped 25 times in Blocky's Funny Doings International.
|Take the Plunge/Part 1 • Take the Plunge/Part 2 • Barriers and Pitfalls • Are You Smarter Than a Snowball? • Sweet Tooth • Bridge Crossing • Power of Three • Puzzling Mysteries • Cycle of Life • Insectophobe's Nightmare • Crybaby! • Lofty • A Leg Up in the Race|