|“||Hmm, hold on. I asked for a red ball. This is a maroon ball.||”|
Maroon balls are a repeating joke in the first season of BFDI, due to their penalty and having a very similar color to red balls. Maroon balls are first seen in "Don't Lose Your Marbles". They are similar to but are not red balls, and are commonly confused as red balls among contestants. Maroon balls will cause a person who hands them in as a red ball to lose 10 points from their score as a penalty. They are most likely owned by the Announcer.
In "Don't Lose Your Marbles", the contestants must locate red balls, however, whoever brings maroon balls to the Announcer loses 10 points. Match brings a maroon ball to the announcer, and goes down the ranks due to the 10 point penalty she is given. Leafy found a maroon ball, without knowing it was a maroon ball, and gave it to Ice Cube, causing her to lose 10 points, and want revenge on Leafy. Eraser finds one and loses points. He ends up being the last person to find a ball, taking so long that it turns to night. He eventually finds a ball, but it's so dark the Announcer can't tell if it's red or maroon. Eraser then accidentally sets it on fire with Firey. The Announcer eventually believes it is a red ball, awarding Eraser 1 point.
- "OMG, seriously?" - Match (In reaction to her 10 Point penalty)
- "Oh my gosh, Ice Cube, I'm so sorry!" - Leafy (In reaction to Ice Cube's penalty)
- "What! Maroon and red are the same!" - Eraser (In reaction to both his penalty, and the cause being the difference between red and maroon)
- "Oh no, this is a maroon ball!" - Leafy (Reenacting Announcer's possible response to her finding a maroon ball in the episode 13 section of "Hurtful!")
- Maroon is a tone of red, and sometimes it's counted as red (including all tones of it).
- First visible on screen at 3:30 in Episode 13 "Don't Lose Your Marbles"
- It is unknown if Eraser's ball was ever red or maroon, as it was too dark to see, and Firey eventually set it on fire. However, it was believed to be red by Announcer.
- The maroon ball appeared in "The Four is Lava" as a recommended character.