|“||I'm sure it's the best one yet, right guys?||”|
— Pen, "Today's Very Special Episode"
He is friends with Blocky, Eraser, and Snowball, and presumably Coiny. Pen was able to make it to the merge in season one, but he didn't get far; he was the 4th eliminated of the 15 mergers. He did not make it into Battle for Dream Island Again, as he only received 285 votes.
Pen is a generic ballpoint pen. His body is slim and white, and his cap is a light blue color. Despite his blue caps, his ink appears to be black or indigo.[BFB4] In early BFDI, his rear was curved, but later on it became straight.
Pen is considered one of the "cool" characters, and is good friends with Eraser, Blocky, and Snowball. However, unlike them, Pen is more optimistic and sensible, and has his nicer moments more often than them; an example is when Firey allows Pen and his three friends into Dream Island, Pen is the only one who thanks him. A more subtle example is whenever the eliminated contestants voted for anyone but Leafy to win Dream Island, Pen is the only one out of his friends who didn’t slap them for it. He tends to be nicer than his friends, as two have been shown to enjoy murdering other contestants, while the other one seemingly does not care much about other people.
In BFB, Pen appears to be a lot more outgoing and hard-working, and he is a lot more active within his team. This may be due to his lack of interaction with the other former "cool" characters, as the four of them were separated when the teams were being formed.
Pen has also shown himself to be a bit dimwitted. Some examples of this can be seen in "Sweet Tooth" when he thought 8 dollars could buy two 5 dollar cakes. He also didn't realize that Tree being stuck inside Bottle would give their team a disadvantage in "This Episode Is About Basketball". Pen proceeds to yell at Tree for not being able to toss the balls well. When Pie brings up the fact that there may be another solution, Pen throws the balls into Black Hole, in hopes of getting them into the basket.
Official Character Guide biography
Pen is BFDI's coolest character. He is a ballpoint pen with blue ink. When an easy shortcut presents itself, Pen knows how to take it. However, he and Tree sometimes have to ask Black Hole for help. His best friend is Eraser. Blocky and Snowball are friends with both.
Despite his problem solving skills, his empty promises left Pen in a debt of 6,938 quindectillion times the price of the world.
Did You Know?: Pen gets jealous every time he sees Pencil erase something she wrote.
- Battle for Dream Island
- "Take the Plunge: Part 1"
- "Take the Plunge: Part 2"
- "Barriers and Pitfalls"
- "Are You Smarter Than a Snowball?"
- "Sweet Tooth"
- "Bridge Crossing"
- "Power of Three"
- "Puzzling Mysteries"
- "Cycle of Life"
- "Insectophobe's Nightmare"
- "A Leg Up in the Race"
- "Don't Lose Your Marbles"
- "Half a Loaf Is Better Than None"
- "Bowling, Now with Explosions!" (eliminated)
- "Reveal Novum"
- "Gardening Hero"
- "The Glistening"
- "Insectophobe's Nightmare 2"
- "Return of the Hang Glider"
- Battle for Dream Island Again
- "Welcome Back" (cameo)
- Battle for BFDI
- "Getting Teardrop to Talk"
- "Lick Your Way to Freedom"
- "Why Would You Do This on a Swingset"
- "Today's Very Special Episode"
- "Fortunate Ben"
- "Four Goes Too Far"
- "The Liar Ball You Don't Want"
- "Questions Answered"
- "This Episode Is About Basketball"
- "Enter the Exit" (does not speak)
- "What Do You Think of Roleplay?"
- "Return of the Rocket Ship"
- "Don't Dig Straight Down"
- "The Four is Lava"
Battle for Dream Island
In "Take The Plunge: Part 1", after Woody screamed loudly, Pen and Eraser comment on how Woody wasn't cool. He later appears with Snowball, Blocky, and Eraser. During the contest, he was just standing on the beam until Ice Cube knocked him over, making him lose.
In "Take the Plunge: Part 2", Pen was picked onto the Squishy Cherries team by Match and Pin. He then chose Blocky to be on the team. Later, he, Pencil, and Match was used as the "oars" for the team boat. He pointed out that the finish line was only "20 or so yards away". When Ice Cube was about to win for the Grapes, Pen knocked her away, (possibly for revenge) and thus, allowing the Cherries to win the first contest.
In "Barriers and Pitfalls", during the contest, Pen, along with Eraser, Pencil, and Spongy, came to rescue Blocky. When Pencil was singing to the Fish Monster, it grabbed her. Later, Pen, Eraser, and Blocky tried to pull Pencil out. He lost again because Tennis Ball caused Pin to fall off and he got flung away. At the end, the Cherries were up for elimination.
In "Are You Smarter Than a Snowball?", at Cake at Stake, Pen only had one elimination vote. Pen has looked at the test answers to answer the questions on his test, and that's how he cheated. The Announcer found that out when he found the test answers, so he set Pen and Blocky's score to 0.
In "Sweet Tooth", when Blocky was eliminated, Pen was in shock because he was a "great guy" and his friend. Pen also cheated in this episode. Here's how he cheated: He and Eraser asked Leafy why she's making a huge cake. Leafy answered, "So if anyone is having trouble making a cake themselves, I can lend some!" Pen had $8, and he found $1.99. They needed only one penny, so they kidnapped Coiny. During the judging, Pen was in 8th place with 17 points. Then the Cherries were up for elimination.
In "Bridge Crossing", with zero votes, Pen was safe. Later, he found an extra bridge. He asked Eraser if he wanted to win Dream Island. He said he did, and when he won, it would be called "Pen Island" with no spaces and all caps. He later fell off because Eraser discovered that the rails were only black bendy straws taped together.
In "Power of Three", Pen was almost eliminated at three votes. If Pin used her Win Token, he would've been eliminated. He was on a team with Eraser and Firey. For a long time, their team was in the last place because Firey died. Later, they were the first ones to find the real key, so all three of them got Win Tokens.
In "Puzzling Mysteries", before the intro, Pen was able to spin a basketball on his fingertips. Pen was one of the Squishy Cherries who could switch teams. At the end of the episode, Pen finally found two pieces that fit together.
In "Cycle of Life", Pen pointed out that it still wasn't fair that four of the Squishy Cherries had to run twice, so Bubble had made a compromise. In the competition, Eraser had to carry Pen, and Pen had to carry Pencil. Once again, their team lost.
In "Insectophobe's Nightmare", Pen wasn't seen doing much, but during the six-legged race, he was being dragged along the ground, hitting a tree along the way. His team managed to win in the end.
In "Crybaby!", Pen chooses Snowball on his team. After the result of the ski contest, Pen says "Aw, seriously?" when another tiebreaker must be performed. During the handstand contest, he fails to stand as he slips on Rocky's vomit.
In "Lofty", Pen told the Announcer to do a magic trick, and during the challenge, he accidentally popped Bubble. Later on, his balloon, along with Match's balloon, were popped thanks to Leafy's nail. The nail then bounced off of Rocky.
In "A Leg Up in the Race", Pen placed first in the contest. He ended up with 71 points, placing first overall. He was safe from elimination.
In "Don't Lose Your Marbles", Pen spends most of the episode holding an apple until he spots a red ball hanging from the sky. He's the ninth contestant to bring back a ball and gets 3 points.
In "Half a Loaf Is Better Than None", Pen is dared by Eraser to jump over a small pit, Pen jumps it and states it was the easiest thing he's ever done. Eraser tries to do the same thing but almost falls and calls Pen out to save him. Pen calls out to Blocky and they all end up falling off. Pen at one point, says "Which is?", which angers Eraser since that's his line. Pen only manages to jump 1 hurdle in the contest, along with Firey.
In "Vomitaco", Pen joined the taco-making contest, where he cheated for the third time in the series, and in the same way as in Sweet Tooth only without Eraser since he was eliminated. Leafy got 6 likes for her taco, but Pen received half of Leafy's likes, even though he had the same taco and ended up in the danger zone.
In "Bowling, Now with Explosions!", Pen is a part of the puppet section of the episode that ends up being an April Fools prank with Leafy, Pencil, Spongy, and Blocky. Pen is eliminated with 144 votes.
In "Reveal Novum", Pen suggests that all of the eliminated contestants just push against one side of the TLC, that way they can just walk right out.
In "Gardening Hero", Pen tells the viewers that if they vote for him, he'll give them 500 million vigintillion dollars.
In "The Glistening", Pen votes Ice Cube to be eliminated. Pen only got 32 votes and doesn't rejoin.
In "Return of the Hang Glider", Pen seems to be the only one who's seriously concerned with how none of them are getting Dream Island. He later is in support of Leafy getting the death penalty for stealing the Dream Island.
Battle for Dream Island Again
In "Yeah, Who? I Wanna Know", Pen was one of the characters seen chasing after Leafy. When they are in the forest, Pen said that Leafy went through the top row, put then Pencil interrupts him, pulling out a Leafy Detector and said "Why prospect, when you can detect?" Later, with only 285 votes to join, just one place away from being in BFDIA, he is one of the characters who did not join and was flung to the LOL.
Battle for BFDI
In "Getting Teardrop to Talk", Pen is the first character seen in the season, excited to show Eraser his rectangle, but not before tripping over Rocky. After being told by Eraser that he is instead holding a parallelogram, he shows him a pentagon, which Eraser finds scary. Pen doesn't think it's scary at first, but is then scared by it. He cries for Blocky to help them, which he does by cutting the pentagon to a square and a triangle using Saw. Pen is the last contestant to be chosen for a team, ending up on Death P.A.C.T., despite wanting to be with Eraser and Blocky, as they both wanted to go to different teams which had one space left. He also won the challenge first by simply blowing the basket to X.
In "Lick Your Way to Freedom", Pen is with his team searching the jawbreakers for a contestant. When Bottle claims a jawbreaker is empty, Pen replies saying Foldy is inside. His team was declared safe.
In "Why Would You Do This on a Swingset", Pen is seen standing next to Bottle. Bottle says she's excited to start preventing death, and Gelatin then throws a fork that hits Pen, knocking him into Black Hole.
In "Today's Very Special Episode", after Four tells everyone the next challenge, Pen begins to ask Black Hole if he could do the drawing, but is interrupted by Tree, who says "Let me guess - 'do the whole challenge for me'?", and that Pen can't just ask Black Hole every time.
Later he is seen protecting Four from the forks, and he asks his teammates what they are going to do. They come up with the idea of calling Black Hole to absorb the forks. After trying, Remote says that Black Holes don't have a good sense of hearing, and Pillow says to go tell him, and that she will stay to stop the forks. Pen tells her that it only takes one person to go and tell Black Hole, but Pillow interrupts him saying that if one leaves, they will all face a painful death. After a while of arguing, he and his teammates go to tell Black Hole. After asking him, Black Hole goes to suck up the forks, and Pen is dedicated to drawing Four in the 5 seconds that he had left. After finishing it, it flies away, but Bottle catches it. When Four does not know what to think about the drawing, Pen says his is the best so far, but then the recommended characters all come out, shouting angrily at him. His team lost, placing 8th in the worst to best line.
In "Fortunate Ben", he says in Cake at Stake that his legal name is actually 🅱️en when X states that he is the first contestant with the fewest votes whose name doesn't start with a 🅱️, and reads a fortune cookie that Four gave with the other 6 who were safe.
In "Four Goes Too Far", he and the other Death P.A.C.T. members closed their eyes to avoid the Twinkle. However, Pen opened his to see what sound he is hearing, which appears to be Bubble and Match doing a staring contest, while constantly passing the Twinkle.
In "The Liar Ball You Don't Want", Pen is seen heading towards 's crater with the Liar Ball, and because Robot Flower hacked Remote, Tennis Ball controls her with Robot Flower. Remote then stops Pen from going to the crater, which makes him ask what Remote is doing. Remote tells Pen she has been hacked, and Pen watches when she downloads the bomb.
At the end of the episode, after Remote finally puts the Liar Ball in the crater, Pen remarks that it feels good scoring a completely defenseless goal.
In "This Episode Is About Basketball", Pen gets angry at Tree for not throwing the balls far, despite the fact that Tree was stuck in Bottle. After Pie says that there's a much simpler solution, Pen misinterprets her and throws the balls into Black Hole. Pen then gets frustrated and decides, along with the rest of Death P.A.C.T., to throw the balls himself, thus securing his team safety.
In "Enter the Exit", he was stacked by Blocky, along with Needle and Match, to make a shape of Four in an attempt to bring Four back. The plan failed, however.
In "What Do You Think of Roleplay?", Pen talks with Eraser and Blocky about the competition so far. Pen mentions that he doesn't even know how Tree got into Bottle, followed by everyone laughing. Blocky plans to do another prank, but Pen declines helping because his team has a rule with preventing death. He then compliments Eraser on how tolerant he's been, since he's on a team with Foldy and she looks like a pentagon. Later on in the episode, when Death Pact find out the fake on their team, Pen smugly poses before walking off.
In "Return of the Rocket Ship", Pen and Death P.A.C.T. run towards the Evil Canyon in search of X's treasure, but is stopped by Black Hole, who reminds them their mission is to prevent death, not cause death (as falling into the Evil Canyon's spikes means dying), and how Pillow had recently died. Pen flutters his arms in response, disappointing Black Hole.
Pen compliments Pie when she stops, but Pie says that Pen did flutter his arms. Later when Tree fails to open Fours mouth, Pen boldly tells Four that "five is greater than four", something which was rebutted with a Screechy, which Pen and his team blocked. Pen tells his team to jump in and they enter into Four's mouth.
In "Don't Dig Straight Down", Pen and his four other teammates with arms reached out of Four's mouth to grab A Better Name Than That's emerald. Pen then came out of Four's mouth, saying thank you for the emerald, and that him and his teammates with arms were reaching out to grab it. Then he goes back in. He is not seen for the rest of the episode.
In "The Four is Lava", Pen, Bottle, and Remote have fun sticking their arms out of Four's mouth and have Black Hole repeatedly swing them back up to it every time they are pushed off. Doing this too many times makes Four forcefully put his hand in his mouth, pushing Pen, Bottle and Remote off, not before Pen sees the door to EXIT and Pillow trying to enter it. Four pulls his entire team out of his mouth, which also makes Death P.A.C.T. safe from elimination.
|21||32 (to rejoin)|
|1||285 (to join)|
- "Lofty": Is killed in Bomby's explosion.
- "Half a Loaf Is Better Than None":
- Falls down a cliff (debatable).
- Walks into a vat of hydrochloric acid.
- "Insectophobe's Nightmare 2": Is devoured by bugs.
- "Why Would You Do This on a Swingset": Is pushed into Black Hole when a fork is thrown at him.
Total kills: 1
|Character||Number of times killed||Episodes|
- Pen is the last character to be shown from the line of characters in the intro.
- In "Today's Very Special Episode", Pen is shown to be a purple pen despite having a blue cap. This is unusual, because typically the color of a pen's cap indicates the color of its ink.
- It is also the first time in the series he has been seen without his cap (not counting "Last BFDI" since it's non-canon).
- Pen was the last male in BFDI to be created aside from David.
- He was also the only male to not compete on Total Firey Island.
- Pen got the most votes out of all the original contestants who didn't make it to Season 2.
- Among all the contestants who could be voted to join BFDIA, if counting Book, Puffball and Yellow Face joining and TV being the host, he got the most votes out of everyone who did not join Season 2.
- Pen is the first contestant to be eliminated at over 100 votes, with 144 votes.
- He and Pin are the only contestants with names that sound alike.
- Coincidentally, neither were in the comics.
- Pen was the first one to achieve 1st place during the point system period.
- He's also the first and only one to keep the 1st place for at least 2 episodes in a row.
- Pen is one of the two characters who has used a Box of Paper Slips, along with Leafy.
- Pen is the first person to appear and speak in BFB.
- Pen was the first to have the blue and white color scheme. Fanny and Clock were the second and third.
- According to Gelatin, at the time of "Getting Teardrop to Talk", Pen is still two hundred vigintillion dollars in debt.
- This makes him the only known contestant to be in debt.
- This also means that he managed to pay off fifteen trevigintillion, nine hundred and ninety-nine duovigintillion, nine hundred and ninety-nine unvigintillion, eight hundred vigintillion dollars from his promise in "Gardening Hero".
- Pen, along with Eraser, is afraid of the Pentagon.
- Pen apparently can't tell the difference between a rectangle and a parallelogram.
- He is the only original contestant on Death P.A.C.T.
- Pen was the last contestant chosen to be on a team in BFB.
- He is so far the only male contestant whose name starts with the letter P (not using his legal name).
- Apparently, his legal name is Ben with the "🅱️" emoji, referring to the meme.
- This makes him the only contestant with a legal name which is not what they are called by.
- If one were to read into the joke, it seems to imply that the objects live in a place with a legal system, or at least an organization that recognizes the legality of the objects' names.
- If this was canon, Pen won't be the first lowest-voted contestant whose name doesn't start with a B. Instead, Cloudy would take that title.
- Pen is the 2nd contestant to be eliminated after cheating in the episode prior. The others are Blocky (BFDI 4) and Stapy (BFB 9).
- Pen was the only member on his team to appear in "Don't Dig Straight Down".
Click here to view the gallery.
- ↑ https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13dUHjWwflvXt2cuW-oGNV29z6XK3KunzWfHPonZoX0M/edit#gid=1397548773
| BFDI 12: Bubble • Eraser • Match • Pen • Pencil • Snowball • Rocky|
| BFDI contestants|