|“||Wait, you don't know? My legal name is actually... 🅱️en.||”|
He is best friends with Blocky, Eraser, Snowball, and presumably Coiny. Pen was able to make it to the merge in season one, but he didn't get far; he was the 4th eliminated of the 15 mergers. He did not make it into Battle for Dream Island Again, as he only received 285 votes.
- 1 Appearances
- 2 Personality
- 3 Official Character Guide biography
- 4 Coverage
- 5 Relationships
- 6 Votes
- 7 Deaths
- 8 Kills
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Gallery
- 11 References
Pen is a generic ballpoint pen. His body is slim and white, and his cap is a light blue color. Despite his blue cap, his ink appears to be black or indigo.[BFB4] In early BFDI, his rear shading and bottom were curved, but later on they became straight.
- Pen resembles a gel pen.
- Pen is a ballpoint pen.
- Pen's bottom is round.
- Pen's body shading is thinner and wavy.
- Pen's cap is lighter.
- Pen's face is slightly lower.
- Pen's shading is thicker and completely straight.
- Pen's bottom is flat.
- Pen's cap is darker.
- Pen's body's outline is more bluish.
- Pen's shade is slightly lighter.
Pen is considered one of the "cool" characters and is good friends with Eraser, Blocky, and Snowball. However, unlike them, Pen is more optimistic and sensible, and has his nicer moments more often than them; an example is when Firey allows Pen and his three friends into Dream Island, Pen is the only one who thanks him. A more subtle example is whenever the eliminated contestants voted for anyone but Leafy to win Dream Island, Pen is the only one out of his friends who didn't slap them for it. Pen also went out of his way to help Rubber Spatula feel better about being the least voted to join. He tends to be nicer than his friends, as Blocky and Snowball have been shown to enjoy murdering other contestants, while Eraser seemingly does not care much about other people.
In BFB, Pen appears to be a lot more outgoing and hard-working, and he is a lot more active within his team. This may be due to his lack of interaction with the other former "cool" characters, as they were separated when the teams were being formed.
Pen has also shown himself to be a bit dimwitted. Some examples of this can be seen in "Sweet Tooth" when he thought 8 dollars could buy two 5 dollar cakes. He also didn't realize that Tree being stuck inside Bottle would give their team a disadvantage in "This Episode Is About Basketball". Pen proceeds to yell at Tree for not being able to toss the balls well. When Pie brings up the fact that there may be another solution, Pen throws the balls into Black Hole, in hopes of getting them into the basket.
Official Character Guide biography
Pen is BFDI's coolest character. He is a ballpoint pen with blue ink. When an easy shortcut presents itself, Pen knows how to take it. However, he and Tree sometimes have to ask Black Hole for help. His best friend is Eraser. Blocky and Snowball are friends with both.
Despite his problem-solving skills, his empty promises left Pen in a debt of 6,938 quintillion times the price of the world.
Did You Know?: Pen gets jealous every time he sees Pencil erase something she wrote.
- Battle for Dream Island
- "Take the Plunge: Part 1"
- "Take the Plunge: Part 2"
- "Barriers and Pitfalls"
- "Are You Smarter Than a Snowball?"
- "Sweet Tooth"
- "Bridge Crossing"
- "Power of Three"
- "Puzzling Mysteries"
- "Cycle of Life"
- "Insectophobe's Nightmare"
- "A Leg Up in the Race"
- "Don't Lose Your Marbles"
- "Half a Loaf Is Better Than None"
- "Bowling, Now with Explosions!" (eliminated)
- "Reveal Novum"
- "Gardening Hero"
- "The Glistening"
- "Insectophobe's Nightmare 2"
- "Return of the Hang Glider"
- Battle for Dream Island Again
- "Welcome Back" (cameo)
- Battle for BFDI
- "Getting Teardrop to Talk"
- "Lick Your Way to Freedom"
- "Why Would You Do This on a Swingset"
- "Today's Very Special Episode"
- "Fortunate Ben"
- "Four Goes Too Far"
- "The Liar Ball You Don't Want"
- "Questions Answered"
- "This Episode Is About Basketball"
- "Enter the Exit" (does not speak)
- "What Do You Think of Roleplay?"
- "Return of the Rocket Ship"
- "Don't Dig Straight Down"
- "The Four is Lava"
- "The Escape from Four" (speaks in group)
- "X Marks the Spot" (speaks in group)
- "Who Stole Donut's Diary?" (flashback, cameo)
- "Uprooting Everything" (promotion only)
- "SOS (Save Our Show)" (flashback)
- Battle for Dream Island: The Power of Two
- Non-canon appearances
- "Last BFDI"
- "Thanks for 4 years!"
- "Thanks for 4 years of Thanks for 4 years!"
- "Happy Birthday, Battle for BFDI!"
- "II + BFDI back together again!"
- "Thanks for 700,000 subscribers!"
- "BFB Contestants React to Wiki Comments"
- "PUMPKIN 2.0 - BFDI Halloween Shorts"
- "If Among Us Was a BFDI Challenge"
- "If X-MAS in Among Us was a BFDI Challenge"
- "Hello Woody! (Now available to order)"
Battle for Dream Island
In "Take The Plunge: Part 1", after Woody screams loudly, Pen and Eraser comment on how Woody isn't cool. He later appears with Snowball, Blocky, and Eraser. During the contest, he just stands on the beam until Ice Cube knocks him over, making him lose.
In "Take the Plunge: Part 2", Pen is picked onto the Squishy Cherries team by Match and Pin. He then chooses Blocky to be on the team. Later, he, Pencil, and Match are used as the "oars" for the team boat. He points out that the finish line is only "20 or so yards away". When Ice Cube is about to win for the Grapes, Pen knocks her away, allowing the Cherries to win the first contest.
In "Barriers and Pitfalls", during the contest, Pen, along with Eraser, Pencil, and Spongy, go to rescue Blocky. When Pencil sings to the Fish Monster, it grabs her. Later, Pen, Eraser, and Blocky try to pull Pencil out. He loses again because Tennis Ball causes Pin to fall off the wall and he gets flung away. In the end, the Cherries were up for elimination.
In "Are You Smarter Than a Snowball?", at Cake at Stake, Pen only has one elimination vote. Pen also calls Blocky being safe at two votes and is right. During the contest, Pen follows Blocky's lead in using the answer key to cheat on the test. The Announcer discovers this and sets their scores to 0, bringing their team to lose the challenge as a result.
In "Sweet Tooth", when Blocky is eliminated, Pen is in shock because he (Blocky) is a "great guy" and his friend. During the challenge, Eraser and Pen spot Leafy making a huge vat of cake mix, which she agrees to share with Eraser and Pen for $5 each. Eraser has no money, so Pen decides to pay with $8, to Leafy's anger. Pen soon finds a $1.99 bill on the ground, ending up one penny short; Pen and Eraser then use Coiny to reach $10. Pen ends up with 17 points, but the Cherries lose the challenge.
In "Bridge Crossing", with zero votes, Pen is safe. Pen notices that the Announcer has been saying "The TLC" and asks if it's an object. The Tiny Loser Chamber is then shown for the first time. During the challenge, he finds an extra bridge. Pen tries to motivate Eraser to climb the rope railings of the broken bridge by asking if he wants to win Dream Island, adding that he himself does, and further noting that upon winning he intends to install a sign in front labeling it "Pen Island" -- "No spaces, all caps!" He later falls off when Eraser discovers that the rails are only black bendy straws taped together. In the stinger, Pen tells Match that golf balls sink.
In "Power of Three", Pen is almost eliminated at three votes. If Pin had used her Win Token, he would've been eliminated. He is put on a team with Eraser and Firey. For a long time, their team is in the last place because Firey died, however, they are the first ones to find the real key, so all three of them earn Win Tokens. In the stinger ending, Pen is surprised that they are all still in the air after being flung by the spring.
In "Puzzling Mysteries", before the intro, Pen is able to spin a basketball on his fingertips. Pen is one of the Squishy Cherries who can be chosen by the Grapes to switch teams, but he is not chosen. At the end of the episode, Pen finally finds two pieces that fit together.
In "Cycle of Life", Pen tells the Announcer that his team finally solved the jigsaw puzzle and were released. amid several amendments to make the challenge fair, Pen points out that it isn't fair that the Squashy Grapes can pick their best runners while they can't. Before the contest starts, Pen expresses his disappointment in there not being an elimination again, saying it adds anticipation and self-preservation. In the competition, Eraser has to carry Pen, and Pen has to carry Pencil. Once again, their team loses.
In "Insectophobe's Nightmare", Pen spends the entire six-legged race getting dragged on the ground, hitting a tree along the way. His team manages to win in the end.
In "Crybaby!", of the two highest-voted Grapes, Pen chooses Snowball to join the Cherries, which he ends up doing. After the results of the ski contest, Pen says "Aw, seriously?" when another tiebreaker must be performed. During the handstand contest, he fails to stand as he slips on Rocky's vomit, but they still win thanks to Eraser.
In "Lofty", in what ends up being a unanimous vote of the two highest-voted Grapes, Pen chooses Rocky over Golf Ball on the basis that Golf Ball "sounds like a boy". Pen encourages the Announcer to do a magic trick, and during the challenge, he accidentally pops Bubble by tightening her string. Later on, his balloon, along with Match's balloon, is popped thanks to Leafy's nail.
In "A Leg Up in the Race", Pen places first in the contest. He ends up with 71 points, placing first overall. He is safe from elimination.
In "Don't Lose Your Marbles", Pen spends most of the episode holding an apple until he spots a red ball hanging from the sky. He's the ninth contestant to bring back a ball and gets 3 points.
In "Half a Loaf Is Better Than None", Pen is dared by Eraser to jump over a small pit, Pen jumps it and states it was the easiest thing he's ever done. Eraser tries to do the same thing but almost falls and calls Pen out to save him. Pen calls out to Blocky and they all end up falling off. At one point, Pen says "Which is?", which angers Eraser since that's his line. Pen only manages to jump one hurdle in the contest, along with Firey.
In "Vomitaco", Pen is at one point shown getting covered in the vomit leaking from the giant barf bag. Pen joins the taco-making contest, where he cheats for the third time in the series, and in the same way as in "Sweet Tooth" only without Eraser since he was eliminated. Leafy gets 6 likes for her taco, but Pen received half of Leafy's likes, even though he had the same taco. Pen ends up in the danger zone.
In "Bowling, Now with Explosions!", Pen is a part of the puppet section of the episode that ends up being an April Fools prank with Leafy, Pencil, Spongy, and Blocky. Pen is eliminated with 144 votes.
In "Reveal Novum", Pen is surprised to learn that the Announcer can hear everything they say from inside the TLC. Pen suggests that all of the eliminated contestants just push against one side of the TLC, that way they can just walk right out. When the contestants are close to drowning due to the TLC filling with water, Pen notices a light, which turns out to be the sun.
In "Gardening Hero", Pen tells the viewers that if they vote for him, he'll give them 500 million vigintillion dollars.
In "The Glistening", Pen votes Ice Cube to be eliminated. Pen only gets 32 votes, along with Eraser, and doesn't rejoin. Before he's teleported, Pen names all of the viewers who voted for him to rejoin and promises to eventually pay them the money he promised.
In "Insectophobe's Nightmare 2", Pen comes the conclusion that if BFDI is cancelled than they should all be released from the TLC. Instead they're all eaten by bugs.
In "Return of the Hang Glider", Eraser asks Pen what would happen if they took the first spoken word of the first episode to the 25th word of the 25th episode. Pen guesses that it would probably translate to nothing. After he's released, Pen votes for Leafy to win. Pen seems to be the only one who's seriously concerned with how none of them are getting Dream Island. Pen tries to talk Flower out of destroying the recovery centers but she doesn't listen. He later is in support of Leafy getting the death penalty for stealing the Dream Island.
Battle for Dream Island Again
In "Yeah, Who? I Wanna Know", Pen is one of the characters seen chasing after Leafy. When they are in the forest, Pen says that Leafy went through the top row, but Pencil interrupts him, pulling out a Leafy Detector and saying, "Why prospect, when you can detect?" Later, with only 285 votes to join, just one place away from being in BFDIA, he is one of the characters who does not join and is flung to the TLC.
Pen is only seen briefly inside the TLC in "Welcome Back", where he is waving at the camera with a crazed grin on his face as Coiny lists him as someone they should free. Pen is then given a chance to be voted out of the TLC. Pen ended up being the runner-up in the vote, only second to Match.
Battle for BFDI
In "Getting Teardrop to Talk", Pen is the first character seen in the season, excited to show Eraser his rectangle, but not before tripping over Rocky. After being told by Eraser that he is instead holding a parallelogram, he shows him a pentagon, which Eraser finds scary. Pen doesn't think it's scary at first, but is then scared by it. He cries for Blocky to help them, which he does by cutting the pentagon to a quadrilateral and a triangle using Saw. Pen is the last contestant to be chosen for a team, ending up on Death P.A.C.T., despite wanting to be with Eraser and Blocky, as they both joined different teams that had one space left. He also wins the challenge first by simply blowing the basket to X.
In "Lick Your Way to Freedom", Pen is with his team searching the jawbreakers for a contestant. When Bottle claims a jawbreaker is empty, Pen replies saying Foldy is inside. His team is declared safe.
In "Why Would You Do This on a Swingset", Pen is seen standing next to Bottle. Bottle says she's excited to start preventing death, and Gelatin then throws a fork that hits Pen, knocking him into Black Hole. Pen is later recovered and joins his team on their swing.
In "Today's Very Special Episode", after Four tells everyone the next challenge, Pen begins to ask Black Hole if he could draw but is interrupted by Tree, who berates Pen for relying on Black Hole to do challenges.
Later, he is seen protecting Four from the forks, and he asks his teammates what they are going to do. They come up with the idea of calling Black Hole to absorb the forks. After trying, Remote says that Black Holes don't have a good sense of hearing, and Pillow says to go tell him and that she will stay to stop the forks. Pen tells her that it only takes one person to go and tell Black Hole, but Pillow interrupts him saying that if one leaves, they will all face a painful death. After a while of arguing, Pen and his teammates go to tell Black Hole. After asking him, Black Hole goes to suck up the forks, and Pen is dedicated to drawing Four in the 5 seconds that he had left. After finishing it, it gets hit by a fork and flies away, but Bottle catches it. When Four does not know what to think about the drawing, Pen says it is the best so far, but then the recommended characters all come out, shouting angrily at him. His team loses, placing 8th in the worst to the best line.
In "Fortunate Ben", during Cake at Stake, Four says that Pen's drawing led them to their elimination. Pen gets mad at Four for saying that his drawing was bad, but Four screeches Pen. X then proceeds to say that Pen's drawing was a "disgrace" to the art community, advising him to never touch a piece of paper ever again. Pen says he'd rather get screeched at, and so Four does so, causing Pen to fall in a daze. Pen is revealed to have the least votes, and X states that he is the first contestant with the fewest votes whose name doesn't start with a B, but Pen says that his legal name is actually 🅱️en. Pen reads the fortune from the fortune cookie he received for being safe, which is about Ice Cube, Pie says that's weird fortune.
In "Four Goes Too Far", he and the other Death P.A.C.T. members close their eyes to avoid the Twinkle. However, Pen opens his to see what sound he is hearing, which appears to be Bubble and Match doing a staring contest while constantly passing the Twinkle, which they then pass to him. Pen attempts to give the Twinkle to Free Food, eventually giving it to Marker by running around them multiple times to find an opening.
In "The Liar Ball You Don't Want", Pen is seen heading towards 's crater with the Liar Ball, and because Robot Flower hacked Remote, Tennis Ball controls her with Robot Flower. Remote then stops Pen from going to the crater, which makes him ask what Remote is doing. Remote asks for help as she's being hacked, and Pen watches her horrified as she gains back control and begins sending a bomb. Pen is later seen with Pillow, who is pushing the Liar Ball at ABNTT's crater. At the end of the episode, after Remote finally puts the Liar Ball in the crater, Pen remarks that it feels good scoring a completely defenseless goal.
In "This Episode Is About Basketball", Pen gets angry at Tree for not throwing the balls far, even though Tree is stuck in Bottle. When Pie says that there's a much simpler solution, Pen misinterprets her and throws the balls into Black Hole. Pen then gets frustrated and decides, along with the rest of Death P.A.C.T., to throw the balls himself, thus securing his team's safety.
In "Enter the Exit", he is stacked by Blocky, along with Needle and Match, to make a shape of Four in an attempt to bring Four back. The plan fails, however.
In "What Do You Think of Roleplay?", Pen talks with Eraser and Blocky about the competition so far. Pen mentions that he doesn't even know how "he got in there" (possibly referring to Tree and Bottle), followed by everyone laughing. Blocky mentions wanting to do another prank, but Pen declines to help because his team has a rule with preventing death. He then compliments Eraser on how tolerant he's been since he's on a team with Foldy and she looks like a pentagon. Later on in the episode, when Death P.A.C.T. finds the fake on their team, Pen smiles proudly before walking off.
In "Return of the Rocket Ship", Pen and Death P.A.C.T. run towards the Evil Canyon in search of X's treasure, but are stopped by Black Hole, who reminds them their mission is to prevent death, not cause death (as falling into the Evil Canyon's spikes means dying), and how Pillow had recently died. Pen flutters his arms in response, along with the rest of the team, disappointing Black Hole.
Pen compliments Pie when she stops, but Pie says that Pen was fluttering his arms too. Later, when Tree fails to open Four's mouth, Pen boldly tells Four that "five is greater than four", something which is rebutted with a screech, which Pen and his team block. Pen tells his team to jump in and they enter into Four's mouth.
In "Don't Dig Straight Down", Pen and his four other teammates with arms reach out of Four's mouth to grab A Better Name Than That's emerald. Pen then emerges from Four's mouth, saying thank you for the emerald, and that he and his teammates with arms were reaching out to grab it. Then he goes back in. He is not seen for the rest of the episode.
In "The Four is Lava", Pen, Bottle, and Remote have fun sticking their arms out of Four's mouth and have Black Hole repeatedly swing them back up to it every time they are pushed off. Doing this too many times makes Four forcefully put his hand in his mouth, pushing Pen, Bottle and Remote off, not before Pen sees the door to EXIT and Pillow trying to enter it. Four pulls the entire team out of his mouth, which also makes Death P.A.C.T. safe from elimination.
In "The Escape from Four," Pen can at first be seen following Snowball and the crew to see Four actually struggling to do something. He then tries to help pull the eliminated contestants out of Four. He later ends up quitting BFB to join The Power of Two.
BFDI: The Power of Two
In "You Know Those Buttons Don't Do Anything, Right?", when Rubber Spatula feels that nobody likes them since they got the least votes to join, Pen makes them feel better by pointing out that over a hundred people still thought they were the best choice. Pen then places TV down, who is displaying Rubber Spatula's votes, so Rubber Spatula can personally thank their voters.
During the making of teams, Pen spots Eraser on another team and nervously tries to decline being on Death P.A.C.T again. Pie is annoyed at this as she feels he's betraying the team's mission. Pen tries to explain himself but ultimately gives up and rushes over to be with Eraser. The two high-five, finally getting to be on the same team again. Pen then asks where Blocky is and Eraser says he left them. Pen isn't sure what he means, so Fries explains that Blocky stayed behind with Four. When Pen's old team is named Death P.A.C.T. Again, he wants to have the same name, thinking it sounds awesome. Golf Ball points out to him that the other team already has that name and that they should be named something else before stopping herself. Pen's team is named Are You Okay thanks to Tennis Ball. During the challenge, they try riding Puffball but she's too small, so they go with Tennis Ball's trebuchet. The trebuchet is used to fling Pen's team to the top of the building, but they fly over it and land in tree, which flings them back into the trebuchet and so on. Puffball catches her teammates using Fries and Pen's team is the first one safe.
- Main article: Pen/Relationships
|21||32 (to rejoin)|
|1||285 (to join)|
- "Lofty": Is killed in Bomby's explosion.
- "Half a Loaf Is Better Than None":
- Falls down a cliff (debatable).
- Walks into a vat of hydrochloric acid.
- "Insectophobe's Nightmare 2": Is devoured by bugs.
- "Why Would You Do This on a Swingset": Is pushed into Black Hole when a fork is thrown at him.
- "Last BFDI": Crushed into Book.
- "If Among Us Was a BFDI Challenge": Sucked into Black Hole.
- "If X-MAS in Among Us was a BFDI Challenge": Killed by a reactor explosion.
Total kills: 1
|Character||Number of times killed||Episodes|
- "Happy Birthday, Battle for BFDI!": Devours Cake with many other contestants.
- "If X-MAS in Among Us was a BFDI Challenge": Pen votes to eject Ruby and Taco into space and kills Eggy with an eggbeater.
- Pen is one of the two characters who have used a Box of Paper Slips, along with Leafy.
- Pen is one of the three contestants with a white and blue color scheme, with the others being Clock and Fanny.
- Pen is one of the few characters with a puppet version of himself in "Bowling, Now with Explosions!". The others are Blocky, Pencil, Spongy, and Leafy.
- Pen is the third person to receive a plush of himself, the first two being Firey and Leafy, and Firey Jr. is the fourth.
- Pen is the first contestant to be eliminated at over 100 votes, with 144 votes.
- Pen is the 2nd contestant to be eliminated after cheating in the episode prior. The others are Blocky (BFDI 4) and Stapy (BFB 9).
- Pen was the first one to achieve 1st place during the point system period.
- He's also the first and only one to keep the 1st place for at least 2 episodes in a row.
- Pen got the most votes out of all the original contestants who didn't make it to Season 2.
- Among all the contestants who could be voted to join BFDIA, if counting Book, Puffball, and Yellow Face joining and TV being the host, he got the most votes out of everyone who did not join Season 2.
- Pen, along with Blocky, Eraser, Snowball, Woody, and David are the original contestants who did not get enough votes to join BFDIA.
- Golf Ball also didn't have enough votes but was picked by a contest winner.
- Pen was the last contestant chosen to be on a team in BFB.
- Pen is one of the four contestants who joined a team only due to being the last one picked, the others are Firey, Woody, and Snowball.
- Pen is the only original contestant on Death P.A.C.T.
- Pen was the first to receive over 1000 votes as a least voted contestant.
- Pen is one of the three Squishy Cherries in TPOT, the others are Pin and Eraser.
- In every season he's in, Pen is always on the team that wins the first challenge.
- Pen is the last character to be shown from the line of characters in the BFB intro.
- In "Today's Very Special Episode", Pen is shown to be a purple pen despite having a blue cap. This is unusual, because typically the color of a pen's cap indicates the color of its ink.
- It is also the first time in the series he has been seen without his cap (not counting "Last BFDI" since it's non-canon).
- Pen was the last male in BFDI to be created aside from David.
- He was also the only male to not compete on Total Firey Island.
- Pen is the first person to appear and speak in BFB
- He is also the first character who isn't voiced by Cary to speak first in a season.
- According to Gelatin, at the time of "Getting Teardrop to Talk", Pen is still two hundred vigintillion dollars in debt.
- This also means that he managed to pay off fifteen trevigintillion, nine hundred and ninety-nine duovigintillion, nine hundred and ninety-nine unvigintillion, eight hundred vigintillion dollars from his promise in "Gardening Hero".
- Pen and Eraser are afraid of pentagons.
- Pen apparently can't tell the difference between a rectangle and a parallelogram.
- Apparently, Pen's legal name is Ben with the "🅱️" emoji.
- This makes him the only known contestant with a legal name which is not what they are called by.
- If one were to read into the joke, it seems to imply that the objects live in a place with a legal system or at least an organization that recognizes the legality of the objects' names.
- If this was canon, Pen wouldn't be the first lowest-voted contestant whose name doesn't start with a B. Instead, Cloudy would take that title.
- Pen was the only member on his team to appear in "Don't Dig Straight Down".
- As stated by video "BFB Contestants React to Wiki Comments", Pen is the only one out of his group of friends who haven't intentionally killed another character.
Click here to view the gallery.
|BFDI 12: Bubble • Eraser • Match • Pen • Pencil • Snowball • Rocky|
BFB 16: Black Hole • Bottle • Pen • Pie • Pillow • Remote • Tree
|Are You Okay|