|“||Well, everybody, they are building the island of luxury. It's called Dream Island.||”|
"Take the Plunge: Part 1" is the first part of the first-ever episode in all of BFDI. It was released on January 1, 2010.
Twenty animated objects are told by an Announcer that they can win Dream Island, a one-square-mile island of paradise, which includes luxurious facilities, a casino, robot servants, a 5-star hotel, and 6 restaurants. The objects are told that they will have to compete in a challenge and they believe that the winner would obtain the island, and will be able to choose who can and can't go with them.
- Bugs (mentioned)
- Golf Ball
- Ice Cube
- Tennis Ball
The first scene shows Pencil and Match discussing how Flower is scared of bugs, even though the bug she encountered was little. After that, Match talks about how Flower thinks she is so fabulous. A flashback then starts playing, which shows Flower asking Ice Cube if she was beautiful. However, she kicked Ice Cube after hearing she replied with a no. This catches Ice Cube's attention and decided to join in the conversation. Ice Cube states that she is going to take revenge on Flower after getting kicked by her. She then says she's glad that Pencil and Match are her friends. Ice Cube wanted to give Bubble a hug for being her friend. Pencil and Match tried to warn her to stop, but Ice Cube accidentally pops Bubble in the process. Bubble is recovered by the Bubble Recovery Center, only to nearly be popped by Pin.
Bubble got mad at her for trying to poke her. However, she told Bubble that Blocky was holding her, and after she breaks free by kicking him, he throws Needle at Bubble. Bubble dodges the attack and annoyingly asks him why he did that. Blocky says that he was just "in the mood" to hurt someone. Blocky follows this up by kicking Woody, who almost fell on Teardrop. Leafy picks him up from the ground and tells him to enjoy life. Woody then looks over to Teardrop, whom he fell in love with, and tried to hug her. However, she got annoyed and kicked him into the air.
Tennis Ball tells Teardrop to calm down because Woody breaks easily due to him being balsa. While Woody was in the air, Snowball, riding his hand glider, noticed him "flying", and Woody then falls onto Rocky, hitting and chipping himself in the process. Woody screams in fear, while Eraser comments to Pen about Woody's cowardice and how he wasn't cool. Eraser says Pen, however, is cool, and Pen says that Eraser is cool too, sharing a high-five. Snowball, still on his hand glider, accidentally hits a mountaintop and loses his grip on the hand glider. On his way down, he finds Rocky. Snowball gets concerned about him and wakes him up, only for Rocky to greet him. Tired of Rocky's ignorance, he throws him away, causing Rocky to suddenly hit Tennis Ball, who frowns at Rocky. Rocky says hi to Tennis Ball, calling him his "good ol' friend".
Meanwhile, Coiny and Firey fight on top of Spongy, who is leaking water. Golf Ball tells them to stop fighting, and for Spongy to take a bath because he's stinky, to which he apologizes. Eraser and Blocky discuss Golf Ball's bossiness, and Eraser calls her a "bossy-bot". Blocky, Snowball, and Pen begin starring at him. Eraser then calls a bossy robot, but they still stare at him. Eraser then finally calls her a robot, who is built to be its bossiest. Eraser says that he'd do anything to get away from Golf Ball, Flower, Woody, and Spongy.
The Announcer then falls from the sky and tells Eraser he is in luck, which piques Eraser's interest. He then tells Eraser about Dream Island. Eraser says that he wants it due to it costing free of charge, but the Announcer says that everyone else wants it too. However, Eraser would never want to give to anyone else, but the others wouldn't do so as well, to which Announcer replies that the objects will settle this with a contest.
Everyone is placed on a wooden balance beam standing above water, and the Announcer informs them that whoever stays on the beam the longest wins. Leafy and Pin promise to help each other. Blocky sits still in a pose, which Coiny notices and wonders what he's doing, telling him to wake up. Spongy falls first after slipping out of place. Flower gets mad as she "needed her space", so she aggressively pushed Woody, Eraser, Tennis Ball, Firey, Golf Ball, Needle, and Leafy off the balance. Leafy yells out for Pin's help, and Pin grabs her right before reaching the water and pulls Leafy up.
Bubble decides to form an alliance along with Pencil and Match that will last throughout the entire series. Ice Cube, eager to secure her friendship with them, asks if she could join. As she runs toward them, she accidentally knocks Pen off of the beam, then bumps into Snowball and the rest of Pencil's alliance, also knocking them out. Before sinking into the water, Pencil rejects Ice Cube's request.
Coiny, having noticed that Blocky still isn't moving, and tells him to wake up again. He shakes Blocky, accidentally causing him to fall off the bridge, but Blocky swings around the beam and makes Coiny fall. Blocky starts to tell him not to shake him up again, but only realized Coiny already fell off last minute.
With six contestants still on the beam, Leafy and Pin try to push off Flower, while Blocky watches them fearfully. However, Flower notices them on time and kicks them into the air. Leafy and Pin, distracted by their "flying", end up crashing into Teardrop, and fall off. Leafy grabs onto the bridge and Pin's leg, and Teardrop grabs on as well. Leafy was about to lose her grip on the bridge and calls Blocky and Rocky for help. Luckily, Blocky comes, only to step on her feet. He realizes his mistake and pulls Leafy's arm. Blocky almost falls but hangs on the bridge with his feet, struggling to pull the others up.
Leafy tells Teardrop to reach onto her other arm to conserve their weight so that Blocky can pull them up easier. Flower comes and shows off her Non-Slip Shoes So Ha, but Blocky uses one of his feet to kick her off the bridge. Flower grabs on to Pin in time, so Pin responds by licking Flower. Flower, disgusted by Pin licking her, gradually loses grip of Pin and finally falls into the water. Leafy says that dropping Flower was a job well done, and Pin and Teardrop swing back onto the bridge. Leafy reminds Pin that they're in an alliance, so she helped Leafy swing back onto the bridge. Blocky says that Leafy is stepping on him, but just like how Blocky accidentally pushed Coiny off, Leafy realizes it at the last minute, and Blocky falls off the bridge. Later, Teardrop tries to push off Rocky, but she slips and falls, along with Rocky.
Leafy and Pin are the final two, so they do a rock-paper-scissors tie-breaker. Pin's scissors beat Leafy's paper, so Pin gets to push Leafy off, but Leafy says they didn't agree to that. Pin reassures Leafy that when she wins, she will let her into the island, but Leafy thinks it's unfair, in which Pin states only one of them can win (but accidentally flips Leafy off the first time). However, the Announcer turns up to them and says that they both win, but it wasn't the island like Pin hoped, they were going to pick out their team members of their future teams for a longer competition to win the island. Pin seems to be bored, but Leafy says that it doesn't seem so bad.
|Contestant||Pushed off||Pushed off by|
|Her crash force|
|(by mistake)||(by mistake)|
|Her own speed (and the friction of the balance beam)|
|Cary Huang||Match/Ice Cube/Pin/Rocky/Spongy/Needle|
|Michael Huang||Pencil/Flower/Bubble/Blocky/Woody/Leafy/Coiny/Tennis Ball/Eraser/Pen/Snowball/Firey/Golf Ball|
- This episode has the most views on the channel (60.5 million views as of November 1, 2020) and has the highest dislike/like ratio (with 88.4k+ likes and 16.8k+ dislikes).
- However, this ratio is going down. In August 2013, the video had 4K likes and 2.4K dislikes.
- This episode is the first object show video on YouTube to reach 100k likes.
- In January 2019, this episode was reanimated in BFDI 1a+1b Reanimated! Fan-made MAP (Multi Animator Project) as part of BFDI's ninth anniversary.
- This is the first episode to have subtitles. It was followed by "Lofty", "The Long-lost Yoyle City", "Welcome Back", and the first nineteen Battle for BFDI episodes.
- This is one of the three BFDI episodes with no voting, the other two being "Puzzling Mysteries" and "Return of the Hang Glider".
- During the beginning of the episode, Pencil was originally supposed to say "Really, Match?".
- Before Flower pushes everyone around her away, there were 2 words that both said "HELP" between Pin and Leafy. One of them was red, and the other was green. Both word colors represent Pin and Leafy respectively.
- This is the first 2-part episode in all of BFDI.
- While Pin and Leafy were flying in the air, Eraser is seen flying in the distance for a very brief moment even though he got pushed off the balance beam by Flower.
- Needle, Pen, Snowball, and Tennis Ball all only have a single line.
- This is the first official appearance of the Non-Slip Shoes So Ha shoes (worn by Flower). They make their second BFDI appearance in Insectophobe's Nightmare 2, during an advertisement.
- They make their third appearance in the BFB episode "Get to the Top in 500 Steps".
- This is the first episode to use the "snatch" sound effect.
- Innuendo: When Pin says "only one of us can win", it is implied that she accidentally flips Leafy with the middle finger, as Leafy responds she pointed the "wrong finger".
- Although, according to a video uploaded by Cary on the Humany channel, she actually pulls up the ring finger. However, he put a "/j" at the end of the video's title, which means the video is most likely a joke.
- There was an alternate ending to the contest where Pin won; Leafy was out and ended up in third place, then Pin knocked off Teardrop and won. Apparently, the voices were done, but it was deleted, most likely due to timing.
- Bubble is the first character to die in the series.
- Match is the first person to talk in this episode, making her the first-ever character to talk (in animation) in the history of BFDI.
- This episode is mostly based on the first book of Total Firey Points.
- The first part of BFDI that Cary ever animated was "Scene 3", after the intro and credits when the contestants are put on the balance beam.
- According to BFDI's Road to Half a Billion Views, this episode got 7,301 views in its first month after release. It has been the most viewed video on the channel since it beat The Marble Race! on November 1, 2012. Part 1 has been the most viewed episode since it passed Part 2 in mid-January 2010. a few weeks after they were released. The episode reached 1,000 views on March 31, 2010, 10,000 views on February 9, 2011, 100,000 views on September 24, 2011, 1 million views on September 12, 2012, 10 million views on September 30, 2013, and 50 million views on May 24, 2017.
- Cary and Michael thought about turning BFDI into a YouTube series on August 18, 2009 on a plane ride back from their vacation in Hawaii. This was mentioned in We Discovered Our Forgotten "Firey" Comics — BFB 23 on Friday, August 21.
- By September 2009, the voices and the animation were being developed for both of the two parts.
- All of Michael's scenes for this episode have not been recovered due to his hard drive crashing on May 2010, according to Michael himself during a stream in which he and Cary explore the source files for the episode.
- The robot servant claws resemble the claws from The Demented Cartoon Movie.
- At frame 232 for a split second, Match's arm detaches from her body.
- When Ice Cube gets kicked by Flower, her legs disappear.
- There was a shadow under Blocky, then disappeared when he turned around.
- When Pin was getting up, her arm wasn't attached to her body.
- When Flower held on to Pin, her arm wasn't attached to her body.
- When the scene changed to Spongy, Firey and Coiny were armless and faceless. However, when it moved up to them, their arms and face appeared.
- After Eraser explains to Blocky about Golf Ball being a "bossy-bot", Pen and Snowball appeared out of nowhere. It is possible that they joined Blocky immediately.
- At 3:08, everyone is armless.
- At 3:45, Eraser is armless.
- At 4:28, a random arm appears for a split second beside Blocky. Also, the characters' sizes were incorrect.
- At 4:56, Flower's eye is bigger than usual.
- Leafy's voice changed throughout the episode.
- While Coiny was slapping Firey, one of Firey's poses when being slapped has his legs not being attached to his body.
- When Pencil was falling with Ice Cube, Pencil's right arm was not touching her body.
- Bubble popped when Ice Cube squeezed her too hard.
- Firey most likely died in the water when he was pushed off the balance beam by Flower.
- Rocky and Golf Ball most likely drowned (debatable).
|0:00 - 3:53||"New Friendly"||Kevin MacLeod|
|3:54 - 4:00||Intro music||freesound.org|
|4:09 - 6:33||"Rocket"||Kevin MacLeod|
|Take the Plunge/Part 1 • Take the Plunge/Part 2 • Barriers and Pitfalls • Are You Smarter Than a Snowball? • Sweet Tooth • Bridge Crossing • Power of Three • Puzzling Mysteries • Cycle of Life • Insectophobe's Nightmare • Crybaby! • Lofty • A Leg Up in the Race|